Perched high on Calton Hill, at the cast end of the city centre, is the monument to Admiral Lord Nelson's victory, and death, at the battle of Trafalgar, on 21 October 1805. A tall tower atop the hill, was built by architect Robert Burn, and offers some excellent panoramas of the surrounding Edinburgh New Town and Old Town, and well beyond to the road and rail bridges on the Firth of Forth. In 1852 a Time Ball was added to the top of the monument as a signal for shipping in the Forth. Today the Time Ball still operates six days a week, and is lowered at One O'Clock as the gun is fired from Edinburgh Castle.
Opening Times: Apr - Sept: mon: 1300-1800; tues - sun: 1000-1800; Oct - Mar: mon - sat: 1000-1500