Built as a townhouse in 1622, Lady Stair's House is one of the oldest buildings in the Old Town, and after many owners became the first of Edinburgh's municipal museums in 1907. The Writers’ Museum is dedicated to the lives and work of Scotland's great literary figures. Built in 1622, it particularly focuses on Robert Burns (1759-1796), Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832) and Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894). The Writers’ Museum has a rich collection of portraits, manuscripts and personal exhibits including Burns' writing desk, and Scott's printing press on which his Waverley novels were produced. Its Stevenson collection is the most significant in the United Kingdom. The museum has a programme of temporary exhibitions featuring other prominent Scottish writers, including contemporary authors. Outside, The Writers' Museum courtyard has been designated as Makers' Court and is filled with inscriptions commemorating famous Scottish writers from the 14th century to the present. There are steps throughout the museum so accessibility may be an issue.
All Year :mon - sat: 1000 - 1700; During Edinburgh Festival sun: 1400-1700